In 1872, Henry Beaton owned and operated H. Beaton Clothing and Furrier. The business sold a variety of men’s hats and furs. Beaton started in the industry working for local hatter McCrosson & Co on Richmond Street. By 1872, he owned his business at 14 Richmond Street, selling hats, caps and furs. The company moved to 419 Richmond Street by 1884. The photo above may be of the 419 Richmond Street location, given the similar façade to the current address. By 1887, the business had moved to 143 Dundas Street it would move a few doors to 138 Dundas Street in 1895. H. Beaton Clothing and Furrier would close in 1899 when Beaton moved on to work for John Marshall & Co.