Amelia (Milly) Harris, who died in December 1959, was the last family member to reside in the house. In January 1960, the house, its contents and property were donated to the City of London by the children of Milly’s brother, Ronald Harris – Robin, George and Lucy. Eldon House was opened as a museum in 1961. The property, which extended down the Thames River, was landscaped and eventually became Harris Park.
As Edward faced financial difficulties, his brother George and wife Lucy purchased the house, keeping Eldon House in the Harris family for two more generations. Several years after taking possession of Eldon House, Lucy received a large inheritance from her family in England. Over the next decade they were able to make a number of improvements to the property and grounds, including rebuilding the terraces and converting the lighting from gas to electricity in 1896.
Edward and Sophia decide to build a large addition to the home, including a formal drawing room, a new kitchen and more space for the servants.
The eldest son, John Fitzjohn, passes away after battling a lingering illness leaving only his brother Edward and his wife Sophia in the home with Mrs. Harris.
John Harris passes away leaving his wife Amelia to raise their ten children and retain their home under reduced income.
John and Amelia have two more children at Eldon House completing their family of ten with three boys and seven girls.
John & Amelia Harris move into their new home with their family of eight overlooking the forks of the Thames.